Monday, January 9, 2012

Favorite Books of 2011, from hither and yon…

Maria Nikolajeva:

Marcus Sedgwick, Midwinterblood
Meg Rosoff, There is no dog
Adam Gidwitz, A Tale Dark and Grimm


Caitlin Kennedy

Stuck, Oliver Jeffers (Philomel)
I Want My Hat Back, Jon Klassen (Candlewick)
Press Here, Herve Tullet (Chronicle)
Grandpa Green, Lane Smith (Roaring Brook Press)
Me... Jane, Patrick McDonnell (Little, Brown & Co)



Sarah Ellen Hickle

Girl of Fire & Thorns -- Rae Carson -- the cover of this book didn't really appeal to me (and didn't really seem to fit the tone of the story), but the story itself was wonderful.
A Long, Long Sleep -- Anna Sheehan -- absolutely loved this sci-fi take on Sleeping Beauty.
(the above were my top two)
The Name of the Star -- Maureen Johnson -- I'm not normally a thriller reader, but this was really great.
The False Princess -- Eilis O'Neal
Dark Mirror -- M.J. Putney


Marisa Behan

Words in the Dust, by Trent Reedy

How Rocket Learned to Read, by Tad Hills

Thelonious Mouse, by Orel Protopepescu


Marianne Paluso

Books:

I loved Matched by Ally Condie. It's romantic and thought provoking and much more captivating than another YA romance that shall remain nameless. Although this came out at the end of 2010, I read it this year and cannot wait to read the sequel Crossed, which came out in November.

I was also happy to see the release of A Long Long Sleep by Ann Sheehan. I read a nearly completed draft of this YA novel during a potential internship and am excited to read the final version.

Movies:

Hugo directed by Martin Scorcese was hauntingly beautiful and utterly mesmerizing. This film is gorgeous.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was a completely satisfying and moving conclusion to the phenomenal series.

The Muppets was adorable and funny and and made me remember why I have always loved Muppet movies.

Alida Allison

Chris Raschka, A Ball for Daisy John Lithgow, I Got Two Dogs + CD David Ezra Stein, Interrupting Chicken

Marilyn Singer, Mirror, Mirror

Gloria Spiegelman, Marcel Marceau

No comments:

Post a Comment