Thursday, December 1, 2011

Interview with Indian children's author Ruskin Bond

www.expressindia.com Thu, 1 Dec 2011 -

I still have a long way to go: Ruskin Bond (excerpt)




New Delhi
Ruskin Bond, one of the best known English writers in India, once said that 'pen, in honest and gifted hands, is mightier than the grave'.

The author, now 77, lives by this philosophy and says he has many more stories to tell.

“... I am a writer without regrets. But I would say that there is a long way to go. I want to write many more books,” said Ruskin.

A lifelong lover of India, the British origin author has been honoured with a Padma Shri as well as the Sahitya Akademi award for his contribution to children's literature in India.

In course of a writing career spanning forty years, Ruskin has written over three hundred short stories, essays, novels, and books for children.

“.... I interact with young people because their response is sincere. If they don't like something about my writings, they will say it was boring and if they liked it they will praise it....” said Ruskin.

“Reaction to work is important to every writer, but literary criticisms in magazines are very remote and impersonal....I don't really take it to heart. Not really. May be for half an hour I feel like strangling the person but later on I don't really bother much."

No comments:

Post a Comment