Thursday, June 2, 2011

2011: The Summer of Denise Schiller


As usual, life is busy for the Milwaukee branch of the Schillers. On the literature front this summer, my husband Aaron and I are co-writing a paper on Wittgenstein's language theories in Beverly Cleary's Ramona the Pest. It's to be published later this year in a collection of essays called Philosophy and/on Children's Literature, edited by Peter Costello at Providence College and published by Lexington Books.

I'm also leading a Facebook group where we're rereading the Little House on the Prairie books. I hope to also attend the Laura Ingalls Wilder Days celebration at a local historic site called Old World Wisconsin: http://oldworldwisconsin.wisconsinhistory.org/Events/EventDetail/Event2399.aspx Visiting Laura's birth site in Pepin, Wis., is still too much of a time commitment this year, but I'm determined to do it before we leave Milwaukee (whenever that may be). A little closer is Caroline Ingalls's birth place in Brookfield, Wis., where the proud citizens of this state have placed a historic marker that I plan to seek out.

Also, I'm taking a bookmaking class and collaborating with local bookmakers in the hopes of creating my own picture books and pop-up books. I continue to be amazed by the local artists in Milwaukee. Whatever you want to do, there's someone who can show you the ropes.

I've just started a job as a web editor for Milwaukee Magazine (insidemilwaukee.com), which probably doesn't impress many of my friends back West, but I can't tell you how excited I am to work for what's become one of my favorite publications. In it, award-winning journalists cover everything from the best Friday Fish Fry to the unusually high teen pregnancy rate in Milwaukee.

Beyond my regularly-scheduled Mom duties, I'm also registering my 2-year-old son for the Milwaukee library's Super Reader's program. Last summer he was the youngest participant at our local branch. Naturally, it's more about Aaron and me reading to him, but he seems to be well on his way to loving books as much as we do. His current favorite is Esphyr Slobodkina's Caps for Sale.

Best wishes to all of my dear Children's Lit friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment