Wednesday, May 12, 2010

2010: The Summer of Jerry Griswold



It's the same phenomenon every summer. I first saw this described in Wind in the Willows: Either I go on the road (and have dreams about planting a garden) or I stay home and plant a garden (and have dreams about traveling with my backpack). This summer I'm planting the garden (and thus far my dreams have been about riding horseback through Canyon de Chelly).

Summer is also a time for me to catch up on my reading. I've already finished Patti Smith's "Just Kids" (an autobiography about her rock-and-roll days with Robert Mappelthorpe) and loved it. On the bedside table are two books I've begun: Jay McInerney "How It Ended" (short stories by the author of "Bright Lights, Big City" and other books I like) and Natsume Soseki's "Sanshiro" (which is novel about a Tokyo University student a hundred years ago).

As always, I'll continue my journalism because it's fun for me. Next up, I think, is Natalie Merchant's "Leave Your Sleep"--an interesting anthology of children's poetry and a double CD set where these are put to music.




No comments:

Post a Comment