Thursday, November 8, 2012

Three Mentors and a Giggle

I found out that one doesn’t have to discover new continents, that people can explore in their minds even when locked in a prison cell, and that books can be my home, my language, my country. I can share with my children and children of the world the universe of dreamers, seekers, and people who dared to think differently. Books are bridges taking you places…
Words from Peter Sis upon his acceptance of the 2012 Hans Christian Anderson Illustrator Award. Read his speech as adapted by The Horn Book. Amid the details of his lifelong journey into illustration and the mentors who guided him, Sis reminds us that we can all be architects bridging the gaps between imagination, dreams, and reality, for kids and adults alike.













 And sometimes that bridge is built upon laughter, a trait that the Roald Dahl Funny Prize, now in its fifth year, strives to recognize. This year the awards went to Dark Lord: The Teenage Years by Jamie Thomson, illustrated by Freya Hartas (in the category for children between seven and fourteen) and My Big Shouting Day by Rebecca Patterson, for children aged six and under. Don't we all just need a good shout once in a while, after all?


No comments:

Post a Comment