Thursday, October 3, 2019

Interview With Ashley Nguyen, Student


Sofia St. John had the opportunity to interview Ashley Nguyen, her fellow graduate assistant and a student of Dr. Mary Galbraith in 2018. We spoke about her experience working with Dr. Galbraith in her undergraduate class.


Image: screen grab: My Neighbor Totoro, Hayao Miyazaki from Dr. Galbraith’s English 501: Fantasy for Children syllabus

What class did you take with Dr. Galbraith, and when?

I took English 501: Literature for Children in the fall of 2018, and the theme was “fantasy and the touch of the real.” It was my first children’s literature class and I chose it to be my specialization course in preparation for the spring honors program. Of course, I was very excited! What was your favorite part about being in class with Dr. Galbraith? Dr. Galbraith was my introduction to a field I hadn’t even heard of before. It was fascinating to learn from someone who had excelled in the field for so long and still found new ways to talk and write about what she loves. This course was the first time I had taken a class in which I fell in love with the readings and knew I wanted to dig deeper – to read, discuss, and write more about children’s literature.

What was your biggest takeaway from the class? How did she impact your studies going forward as a literature scholar?

Dr. Galbraith emphasized authors’ backgrounds, claiming that their childhood experiences profoundly influenced the literature they would go on to create. We drew parallels between the authors’ life events and the events that their characters undergo. This concept has come to fruition in my own research a year later, as I am currently preparing for a ChLA panel on #ownvoices. Specifically, I am interested in how Asian American authors’ experiences as descendants of refugees influence their own writing, particularly in the creation of characters born in the United States.

How do your research interests overlap with Dr. Galbraith’s, if they do? If not, did you find any new research interests in her class?

Dr. Galbraith didn’t share much of her research interests, but I remember her telling us towards the end of the semester that she was writing (if I recall correctly) a definition for a dictionary. The term she was researching was “deixis.” I remember being floored by the complexity of her research, which she had never flouted throughout the semester. It was a moment when I realized the infinite possibility for the academic study of literature, which was formative for me as someone who was applying to a master’s program more out of necessity than passion for literature. I got my first look at the fun (and torture) of the life of a scholar, which I will develop into throughout my own studies as a graduate student.
I hadn’t had a specific research interest in mind, but her class provided an extensive survey of the different forms that children’s literature takes, including classics, novels, picture books, and animated movies. I was compelled by our early look at how fairy tales adapt over time, and this influenced the honors thesis I wrote in the following semester.

Does she have any unique teaching styles or aspects of her class which differ from other classes you have taken?

Professor Galbraith was very engaging and valued the input of her students, many of whom were not English majors. Her discussion questions and written assignments challenged us to think critically about books that are often relegated to the margins, as well as stories we’ve heard but never analyzed before. English 501 was notable because its texts explored a lot of difficult themes such as war trauma, adult condescension towards children, and parental abandonment.

Do you have a notable memory from class or from working with Dr. Galbraith?

The most heartwarming event I can recall occurred in the middle of the summer after I had taken her class. I had just graduated and was accepted to the graduate program, which I had asked her to write a letter of recommendation for. In July, I received an email from her which stated very simply:
Dear Ashley,
Congratulations on making the Dean's List-- that's a significant accomplishment!
Your proud professor,
Mary Galbraith

This email, to me, really sums up the kind of instructor Dr. Galbraith is. She remembered me from two semesters ago and went out of her way to send me an email and encourage me, whose accomplishments are incomparable to her numerous publications and international conference presentations. She is well-beloved to all who know her because she genuinely cares about others. SDSU is very fortunate to have a lecturer with such intellectual and emotional generosity.

Thank you so much to Ashley for helping us get to know Dr. Galbraith a little more!

This is part two of a series of blog posts in preparation for Dr. Mary Galbraith’s talk, "The Deictic Imaginary: Literature as Creation," to be held in LL430 on Wednesday, October 30th from 4:00-5:00PM. Please keep an eye out for part three to come out in a few weeks!

-SS

No comments:

Post a Comment