Friday, July 1, 2011

2011: The Summer of Carole Scott


This summer sees translations of How Picturebooks Work, co-authored by me and Maria Nikolajeva, for readers in Korea and in Brazil. It is already available in Japanese. "Frame-Making and Frame-Breaking in Picturebooks" has just appeared in translation in Spanish. And I have a chapter which explores the relationship between Roald Dahl and his most famous illustrator, Quentin Blake, coming out later this year in a collection on Dahl edited by Charlie Butler and Ann Alston (this one in English!).

I am currently working on a presentation on "Artists' Books, Altered Books and Picturebooks" for a conference in Tuebingen this September. It has been an interesting journey, and I was excited to find a wonderful Artist's Book created by Jenny Yoshida, a former graduate student in my Study of Picturebooks class in SDSU's Special Collections.

The day before the conference is a workshop for PhD students, where I will be moderating one of the sessions. Berit Westergaard Bjorlo, who attended SDSU this past year as a visiting faculty member, will be participating. After the conference, I will return with her to Norway, to help establish an on-going exchange for our students and faculty with Bergen University, and to offer a couple of presentations, on picturebooks and on Pullman.

Maria Nikolajeva, former SDSU visiting faculty, and now professor at Cambridge, will be involved in both the workshop and the conference. I will be visiting her the week before the conference to which we will travel together. I am looking forward to the opportunity of catching up with Peter Hunt and Morag Styles while I am in England, and with Perry Nodelman, Bettina Kuemmerling-Meibauer, Nina Christensen, Sandra Beckett and other old friends at the conference.

Meanwhile I am working on my ceramic sculpture and enjoying being active with the Potters' Guild here on Salt Spring Island, and as a Library volunteer. I'm returning to San Diego for two weeks in July to catch up with friends and colleagues and to organize a Friends of the Library meeting to welcome the new Library Dean.

No comments:

Post a Comment