Friday, February 5, 2021

New Graduate Assistant


 Hello everyone!

My name is Natalie Alvarez and I’m currently a first year M.A. student studying English with a specialization in Children’s Literature. Being a new student to the program means that I’m still exploring my definitive areas of research. Nonetheless, areas such as queer studies, media studies, sexuality studies, and Digital Humanities have caught my attention. When it comes to Children’s Literature, I gravitate towards Young Adult Literature. I’m especially interested in YA narratives written by authors of color in the Fantasy genre. I would like to explore how cultural and/or queer identity operate in Fantasy landscapes.

 

My love for reading blossomed due to my desire to learn English. I was learning the language in school, but I wanted to experience more than grammar rules and the assigned texts. Then a family member talked to me about a certain book revolving around vampires. After devouring such in a couple of days my journey began. The rest as they say is history and now here, I am now pursuing the degree that I dreamed of when I was younger.

 

When I'm not doing schoolwork I can be found creating book related content for my Instagram. I post everything from book inspired makeup looks to book reviews. Besides reading I enjoy fashion, watching the latest tv series or horror movie, digital art, and blogging. In case you were wondering (and I know you were) some of my favorite books are We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia, A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.

 

I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to be a Graduate Assistant at the National Center for the Study of Children’s Literature, and I can’t wait for all the amazing things this will bring. I’m excited to be part of the conversation and immerse myself more into the scholarly world of Children’s Literature. I look forward to sharing with you all everything related to Children’s Literature and the National Center for the Study of Children’s Literature.

 

-NA






No comments:

Post a Comment